Whassssssssssuuuuuppp! Wait, what? We have to go even further back? Ok, well I can’t quite find an advertising slogan to greet you with from the early 90’s but yes it’s time for us to delve right into nostalgia as we proudly present you our combined Top 10 list of Sega Mega Drive games released in the UK. It was known as the Genesis in sunny America, a console which sparked an endless debate as it offered serious competition to the market-dominating Super Nintendo, with a spec that matched and goddammit a library of games that you can’t fail to enjoy :-
1. Sonic the Hedgehog – easy to pick up and play, it was a huge selling point to have a platformer that rivalled Mario
2. Road Rash – great little racing game this, nice tracks and customisable bikes, but the big seller was the fact you could punch your rivals off their bikes in order to win. Hell, they even encouraged it!
3. Batman – picking up from the amazing TV adaptation which was way ahead of it’s time, the game had intelligence, a good storyline and our hero looking as slick as ever. It stands the test of time too, it’s what kicked off this list in the first place!
4. World of Illusion – Mickey Mouse deserves a good game and this thoroughly delivers, not the most easy to play but mainly because you had to think about the puzzles before you in order to complete them. Not always with way with a platformer but this had heavily investment and it paid off.
5. Streets of Rage II – a second opportunity to clean up the streets by kicking ass, very playable and simple enough, sticking with a side-scrolling winning formula, arguably better than the original.
6. Robocop vs. Terminator – this is your classic combo that makes no sense but is an awesome idea in reality – just because. Cool robot vs. cool robot, guns, violence and despite the nonsense it plays really well. Executing from the arcade to your living room perfectly. Great for a kid who A. wasn’t allowed to watch either film due to it’s ratings and B. was too scared to watch the films even given the chance…
7. The Revenge of Shinobi – Another violent video game to stir things up, this time going martial arts on your ass.
8. Mortal Kombat – Again – martial arts, BUT this was violence in video games on a whole other level. FINISH HIM!
9. Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf – Very much one for your PC gamer but again more accessible in a home console, tactical missions required thought and skill, but at the end of the day this was also a little GTA, way before GTA: basically you could free roam and decide what the mission was for yourself. So maybe from time to time this was a killing spree on all innocent civilians, but what’s wrong with that?
10. Golden Axe – the conversion from the Master System was sweet as, rendering our threesome beautifully and with additional content to boot!